crontab + "xset dpms"

Greetings fellow debheads;

I would like to set my monitor power off times to be different during
the night than during the day. To this end, I have added the following
lines to my crontab (output with crontab -l):

0       10      *       *       *       xset dpms 3600 0 0
30      0       *       *       *       xset dpms 300 0 0

I have blank lines at the end of my crontab file.

I never log out of X. I do use xscreensaver; it has an auto-enable time
of ten minutes with locking.

Other lines in my crontab file get run (two include an Esetroot to
change my root background in X every two hours) -- so I am rather
mystified why this won't change the timeout values. Using these commands
by hand works just fine.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks :)

(no, I don't get email about it -- but that is because, when openldap
broke, it was a whole lot easier to remove MTAs than to fix the ldap. :)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help