NIC can't be found.

During the boot sequence I am receiving the following message;

    eth0:unknown interface: Operation not supported by device

I cannot figure out why my NIC is not being seen.  I have tried several flavors of NICs (even a NE2000) and have been through the BIOS with several configurations to make sure PnP is not a problem.  I have even recompiled the kernel (2.2.12) just for good measure.  It is not possible to load the driver module since the eth0 is not being created.

 At this point, I am running out of ideas.  Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

-Lane