installation prob

I've been trying to install Debian on a 486 laptop
with floppies copied from the Debian site onto my
desktop computer(I have no cdrom drive on the laptop).

Installing the base system went really well, but when
I try to use dselect to add more packages, I run into
trouble. Dselect prompts for the packages file from
the main folder at the Debian site, but that file is
too big to fit on a floppy (I think it's 1.6 megs).

I've tried the packages.gz file and that doesn't work.
I've also tried decompressing the packages.gz file on
the laptop hard drive and getting dselect to read it
from there, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I know I must be missing a really obvious solution,
but I'm stumped. I've read every applicable FAQ and
saw no reference to this problem, so maybe you guys
can help. My question is: how can I install more
packages from the floppy drive?

Thanks,
Sheri