Re: Reading files from corrupted disk

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 01:42:58AM -0800, davidturetsky wrote:
> I have a bunch of Windows95 files stranded on my old hard drives, not accessible from windows because the directory (I believe) has been corrupted
>
> How can I access them directly and copy them off onto the 34gb drive
> that came with my new system?

Stencile it "NSA Echelon Data 1998.11.30" and drop it outside your local
French consulate.  Your data will be retrieved....

Seriously, depending on the type of drive failure(s) and/or the
importance of the data, you might want to consider a data retrieval
service.  If I didn't particularly care about the possiblity of having
bad heads munge the rest of the disk, I might do a raw access via 'dd'
to build an image file.  A successfully created image file should be
mountable via a loopback device under Linux -- if the original wasn't
compressed via Doublespace or other Windows compression.

Loopback mount:

   # assume file win.img
   mkdir mountpoint
   mount -o loop,ro -t vfat win.img mountpoint

...should do it.  You'll need to have built loopback filesystem support
into your kernel.

> If not readily accessible from simple script, does anyone know of some
> packages that retrieve files from a corrupted disk?

Norton (Symantec) has a set of rescue tools, IIRC.  Note again that if
your problem is hardware faults, trying to save the data may lose more
of it.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)