Rethinking system set-up, would like some feedback

Dear all,

Now that I've got two brand new external SCSI drives to play with I am
rethinking my system set-up.  If you have got some advice, I'd love to
hear it.  Here is the scoop.

The system in question is an IBM PC 300PL with an internal 8.3GB IDE
drive and 2 external SCSI drives (20GB and 27GB).  It also has an MO
drive and CDRW connected to it.  It has to serve the needs of a small
R&D group (about 10 people) for graphics related software development
and some smaller side projects.  Most work is Windows oriented (don't
blame me!) and everyone has its own Windows machine.  We would like to
move to a situation where all project data is available from a central
location (i.e. the system I'm rethinking).  In addition, we would like
to provide an info server, primarily for ourselves, but if the rest of
the company finds anything useful, well, so much the better!

I'm thinking of a set-up where Debian goes on the internal disk, both
the system and a partial mirror, with 128MB each for swap, /, /tmp and
/var, 2GB for /usr and the rest for the mirror.  /home and /pub would
go on the larger of the external disks, together with 128MB of swap
and 128 or 256 MB for an emergency backup server system.  The smaller
of the external disks will be dedicated to user data backups and yet
another backup system (without(?) the server capabilities).

The idea is that if something goes wrong, I boot the backup server and
everyone can continue work.  Note that most everyone uses Windows, so
they won't miss all those Debian goodies much.  Space permitting, I'll
cram in as much as possible, though.  Case that goes wrong too, I can
boot the other backup system and dump user data some place else or at
least peel it off the backups.  Another option is to unplug the disks
and hook them up to another machine.

Any suggestions?  Go ahead!
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development