xterm and backspace

Hi. For quite a long while now, the backspace key in an xterm (running
emacs or something) produces ^H rather than an actual backspace event. I
was browsing the mail archives of -user and -devel, and I have the
impression that this is in line with Debian keyboard policy. If that's so,
and backspace works ok in rxvt, should a bug be filed against the xterm
package? Short of that, can someone clue me in on how to get it to
work? It's really driving me crazy. Thanks.

Please CC me, as I'm not subscribed to debian-user, thanks.

--
Education is a system of imposed ignorance. -Noam Chomsky