Re: mounting /tmp from fstab

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, aphro wrote:

> adjust the permissions of /tmp (the mountpoint itself) before mounting the
> filesystem it should get mounted correctly.

No.  You need to set the permissions after the partition is mounted.
I tested this by creating a directory, doing a "chmod 777" on it, then
using it as a mount point... "ls -l" showed a mode of 755, not 777.

I've also chown/chmoded floppies to a specific user after they have been
mounted so that whenever they are mounted in the future they are owned
by that user (a good trick if you are worried that putting your pgp/gpg
keyring backups on a floppy and having them fall into the wrong hands,
of course it does no good if the wrong hands have root access on a
linux machine).

later,

	Bruce