Re: mounting /tmp from fstab

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 11:53:45PM -0500, Jonathan Lupa wrote:
> Hi all, I'm having what is probably a stupid problem mounting /tmp
> from fstab.  Basicly it ends up with permisions of 755.
>
> Is there any way to control permissions of an ext2 partition via
> fstab? (mode=, and umask= seem to only work for other fs's).

no no, just use chmod ;-)

chmod 1777 /tmp after you mount the filesystem.  the root directory of
a filesystem is a directory like any other and has permissions and
ownership/groups just like any other directory, you don't need to use
any DOSfs kludges to deal with perms on it.

> FWIW, here is the relevant line...
>
> /dev/md0     /tmp      ext2    defaults       0 2

thats ok, but i would mount it defaults,nosuid for extra security. (it
depends on how you partitioned if /var and /tmp and /home are there
own partitions you should be able to mount them all nosuid)

--
Ethan Benson