Re: IOmega

On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 02:05:41PM -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> Unfortunately, I must agree with this.  I have had a 2gb jaz for 1.5
> years or so.  I've replaced all of my disks twice, and the drive 4
> times.  Granted, iomega is good about replacing the stuff, paying
> shipping both ways and such, and when the disks and/or drive fails, you
> only lose a few files, it is a big pain in the butt.  I still have my
> jaz drive, I use it seldomly.  When it does work, which, for fairness,
> is most of the time, it is great, but don't bank on being able to
> recover the media.  I use it as temporary space.
>
> Iomega did tell me though that the problem could be related to a
> compatibility with my adaptec 2940u2w, which at the time was an embedded
> controller.  They had patches avalible, or, maybe adaptec had patches
> avalible, but it didn't matter anyways, since they were only for the
> retail 2940.

This guy at http://grc.com has written a utility to check if you jaz/zip
is about to take a dump. Unfortunately, it's written in assembly and for
Windows.  However, he's got some good info on the unreliable and plain
defective IOMega JAZ and ZIP drives.  Maybe with a little prodding,
he'll port his utility to Linux, et al.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |