Multiple installations

Hello List,

I'm planning to put a Debian SMP system together for the new Vn of the
3d s/w I use.  The primary installation will be potato but I'd also
like to be able to run the new unstable.  What I'd like to do is to
have three installations:- 1 x potato, that I know will always work,
and two for unstable, so I can revert _and_ maintain a working system.
The 3d package footprint won't be too large so I can install it on each
system but the associated data does take up a lot of space and I don't
want to duplicate it anyway.  It would seem possible for me to put all
this data on it's own partition and then get it mounted on each system,
but I was wondering if there could be any permissions conflicts between
the systems.  Obviously, I'll maintain the same users on each system
(just me and a guest account) but I don't know if this will be enough -
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.  On the other hand, I might be
worrying about nothing.

Any advice welcome.

Bye,

LeeE