Trouble with Minicom ...

Hello everyone,

        I am having some trouble with Minicom. I am running Debian2.0. The
modem is a Multitech 2834 external modem on /dev/ttyS0.

I am using Minicom to figure out what prompts the dialup host at my
university is sending me - "login" or "username" etc. After I dial the
number through Minicom, I get the message:

"Connection established. Press any key to continue"

Proceeding with this, I expected to see the login screen. Instead I
get this:

CONNECT 26400 LAPM COMPRESSED
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And the screen is frozen - I can't seem to do anything. I wait for a
few minutes and have to hangup the phone.

Any idea what is going wrong? Isn't it Minicom's default behaviour to
show me the login screen?

Thanks --- Karthik

PS: I had similar trouble with PPP/CHAP - which is why I was going through
Minicom.