Re: DesignJet

> Anyone set up HP DesignJet plotter on linux? As remote printer.

I have a DesignJet 755 CM with the ethernet plugged into the wall
and a Debian box as the print spooler for this printer:

/etc/printcap:

    monroe
        :rm=monroe
        :rp=lp
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/monroe
        :mx#0
        :sh

monroe is in /etc/hosts and points to the IP address of the printer.
You could just as easily put the IP address in the ':rm=' line.
HP printers that are networkable have an on-board print spool called
'lp'.  If you just print to that you don't have to mess with any
HP JetDirect software which can be a pain IME.

All of my Windows (the printer is shared via Samba) and UNIX users go
through the Debian box to print to it and everything works flawlessly.

The printer is set up to understand both Postscript and PCL, so
both platforms can speak their native printer language.  I'm not
sure if all models understand Postscript -- if you've got one
that doesn't, you're going to have to fiddle with Ghostscript /
magicfilter to turn Postscript into PCL.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc