Re: Thank you, Corel, for PPP]

I'm baaaaack! I've had another go a ppp in Debian slink.

Jonathan Chang wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, George Bonser wrote:
> > Try:
> >
> > echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps

That didn't work for me.

> > Turn off all ppp header compression.

I couldn't figure out how to do that.

> I've discussed this ppp problem with others on this list before. And it
> looks like this problem occurs only when using PCMCIA modems from my
> experience.

My modem is an external USR Courier V.Everything that works fine in
Corel Linux, Win NT, and Win 98.

At John Hasler's suggestion, I ran plog, and it said, "This system lacks
kernel support for ppp."

I hope you won't get mad at me for saying this, but I'm trying to
accomplish the same thing, so far unsuccessfully, in Mandrake 6.1. I'm
getting the same basic error messages: kernel has no ppp support. What
makes it interesting in Mandrake is that last night I reinstalled with
the "Install Everything" option, some 1600M of stuff. When Mandrake
boots, there are a lot of messages about wrong kernel version, which
leads me to a more fundamental question that I think I'll put in a
separate thread in case the right person is skipping this one: can one
distribution interfere with another?
--
Lane
----