Debian shutdown hanging.

Hi,

I have installed debian 2.1r2 on a IBM netfinity 3000 machine. Everything
is fine except that when I press cntrl-alt-delete, I get the following
messages and the machine hangs. Everytime I have to switchoff and when
switching on next time there are hard disk repairs. How can I avoid this?

I have given below the shutdown message and the relevant line in the
/etc/inittab

--------------shutdown message after pressing ctrl alt del---------

INIT: switching runlevel: 0 INIT: Sending
processes the TERM signal Stopping the X display manager : xdm Stopping
periodic command scheduler: cron.