Re: New netbase, with ifup/ifdown!

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 12:11:48PM -0500, Adam Goode wrote:
> Looks like woody and potato got the new netbase, adding use to the
> /etc/network/interfaces file (and taking away the need for
> /etc/init.d/network). Looks to me like /etc/init.d/pump and
> /etc/init.d/dhcp-client should be going as well. Any comments on this? Are
> updates to pump and dhclient going to remove these files?

I've disabled /etc/init.d/pump on my system after enabling the ethernet
interface in /etc/network/interfaces, and it seems to work well enough.
I haven't rebooted, but i did take down and reup eth0 a few times with
much success.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 03:02:13PM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:

> Does the up line run before/concurrently/after with what used to be
> ifconfig up?  My ISP does access control based on MAC address, so I
> have to set it before bringing up the interface.  My machine is 100%
> stable yet, so I can't change my records with them quite yet.

ifconfig up used to be in /etc/init.d/network, IIRC (if i'm wrong, then
ignore this next part). The new file is /etc/init.d/networking, and it
is installed into rcS.d at level 40 just as network was, so it should be
run at the same point in the boot process.

> Is there better docs than the man pages for if{up,down}, because I
> couldn't deduce the format for the network file from it?

/etc/network/interfaces provided with the package is well commented.

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 04:54:24PM +0100, Radim Gelner wrote:

> I've installed the new netbase right now. One question: in /etc/rc.S
> there's still one link pointing to /etc/init.d/network. Can I delete it?

It depends on your setup. Once you get /etc/network/interfaces
configured to set up anything /etc/init.d/network currently handles, i
don't see why you couldn't. Anyway, if you keep /etc/init.d/network the
worst that could happen is that the network won't come up on a reboot,
and you'll have to restore the symlink, fix /etc/network/interfaces, or
ifconfig the network manually.

In my case, i didn't really need /etc/init.d/network ever since i
upgraded to a 2.2 kernel, since 2.2 handles lo by itself and pump
handles eth0.

--
  finger for GPG public key.