Re: STILL Configuring x-windows for EGA- can anyone help with this?

Suggest you try Deja or look at the XFree86 docs.  EGA appears to be
supported:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO-6.html

What configuration program are you using?  There are several:
xconfigurator, XF86Setup (my preferred tool), etc.

There are also a number of modelines calculators on the web, you might
try searching for one.  You should probably assume you can get 600x480
at 60Hz, 8 bpp, but not much better than that.   Which pretty much
sucks.  You're better off in console mode using screen and/or emacs.

If you've got a second machine, and a network, another option would be
to use an X emulator or PVN to access the Linux box -- no need to run
an X server on it at all (note that you will still need some X packages
for client support).   This would cover you whether your second machine
was Windows, Linux, or whatever.

Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)