Re: Thank you, Corel, for PPP

GECOS wrote:

> The meaning of the Subject is that, of three different distributions of
> Linux on my system, only Corel Linux gets me to the Internet.
>
> My pleasure with CL's ease of install, but my frustration with its
> nonstandard configuration,
> led me to buy McCarty's Learning Debian book.
> It came with a Debian CD, so I installed it. I have a PPP-sudden-death
> syndrome with it that Debian gurus have not yet been able to cure.

I have seen several postings on this list about your problem, but never
any response when asked (by John Hasler) for details.  Maybe you go
offline with "gurus" with your problem, but I suspect you'd be better
served, if you are sincerely interested in getting Debian to do this, if
you persisted with the list and offered us some details like: logs; type
of modem; dialup strings that Debian (and Corel) are using.  And what's
your provider; maybe someone else has that one and knows the pitfalls.
Hit-and-run won't get it; it only frustrates everybody.

Distribution-switching to solve one problem usually only works until the
next problem crops up.  Sooner or later you'll have to dig in.  Unless
all these slick new distributions are a lot better than I think they
are...

> A friend sent me a Mandrake CD to try, and the install was very easy.
> But when I ran kppp, it said that the kernel did not include PPP
> support! I am =positive= that I never told the install anything that
> would lead it to think I didn't want to use dialup.

It's well-known that pppd will give you that message when it has a
problem that has nothing to do with the kernel.  I suspect 90% of the
people who read this list know that; they know a lot of other stuff,
too, but they need *details*. (I know: this wasn't Debian; that's just
an example).

Remember, a key theory of open source is that given *a sufficient number
of eyes*, any bug is shallow.

> So thank you, Corel, for proving that there's nothing basically wrong
> with my system that prevents Debian and Mandrake from giving me access
> to the Internet. That gives me hope that some day I may have dialup from
> all of my distros.

I found Debian to be hassle-free getting me to the Internet.  RedHat was
not.  Strangely, some distributions just support some hardware and other
variables better than others.

I noticed that under Debian you used wvdial.  I've never used that; only
pppconfig and pon.  That should do a perfectly good chat script for
you.  Have you considered starting afresh and getting wvdial out of the
act?

Anyway, good luck!