Re: dhcpcd on slink

Well, I'm getting there . . .

I upgraded to 2.2 (frozen), and that's all working.

My NIC is working, and if I set the IPADDR, NETMASK, etc., etc., manually, networking works just fine.

But dhcpcd still refuses to pick the information up from MediaOne; or, its request is not getting out. Syslog reports that it's timing out waiting for a response. [I presume MediaOne is doing the right thing because a Windows system set to use DHCP gets its IP set quite nicely by MediaOne.] After dhcpcd fails, ifconfig reveals, of course, no setting for eth0.

I've tried a lot of things: rebooting the cable modem; using the -h (host) and -I (client setting, to specify the MAC address I used on the network card for the computer originally connected to MediaOne) in dhcpcd . . .

I'm using dhcpcd, because when trying to install dhclient, I get:

socket: Protocol not available - make sure CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration.

Haven't compiled a new kernel because it seems that dhcpcd should work . . .

At 04:37 PM 2/20/2000 -0600, you wrote:

> Hi. I've been RTFM and the Debian e-mail archives for quite awhile, and I
> can't get dhcpcd to work on slink (2.2.12).
>
> I'm trying to do dhcp to MediaOne in Cambridge, MA.
>
> When I run the daemon, I get the error: SIOCADDRT
>
> Any ideas?

A dhcpcd compiled for a 2.0 kernel won't work with a 2.2 kernel - the
programming interfaces changed for the better during the 2.1 development
series, with the side effect of breaking binary compatibility.  To get
DHCP to work you need to do one of:

* Stop using 2.2 kernels and keep using 2.0 kernels
* Install the dhcpcd from potato

* Compile one of the many DHCP clients available in source form youself.
  I like to use dhclient - that's the DHCP client included in ISC's DHCP
  server package.  I have it mirrored (in source form) as
  http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/dhcp-2.0.tar.gz

> Is dhcpcd known to work on Debian? I'm trying to use version 0.70-5

It works as long as you use the right binary with the right kernel.
Fortunately it doesn't look like the programming interfaces are going to
change anytime soon - I've been using a dhclient compiled for 2.2 kernels
with 2.3 kernels (the current development series) without a single glitch.

Phil Brutsche                                   pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

John G. Norman (http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jgnorman/)