Re: Question on installing packages and upgrading

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 07:30:00PM +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
.
.
.
> But it wants a whole debian tree, not just some additional packages. I
> can install the packages manually, but this involves a lot of dpkg -I
> or checking the dependencies first.
.
.
.
> . . . New packages for wmaker etc. usually need newer versions of
> other packages. And these need other new stuff, and so on.

> I like the Debian philosophy, but I also see that soooo many things
> don't work well/correctly/at all. And I always always run into some
> problem when installing new stuff, like having to download many other
> stuff, or some other programs refuse to work after that. I need newer
> windowmanagers, newer CDburning software, MP3 encoding software, and
> much more. Lots of stuff to download, and probably that's not enough,
> because of my outdated libraries.
.
.
.
> So, what would I need to do to get an up to date system? Without being
> online for days (which costs some money here). Or is potato finished
> very soon?

To answer your question:  if you're in a big hurry, you could install
apt on your slink system.  Potato should be released in some weeks,
and potato+apt will solve all the problems you refer to.

I personally have been using potato for months now with only a few
problems, so upgrading to potato "early" wouldn't be a terrible idea.
The Debian folks I spoke to at LinuxWorld Expo say that the new
releases after potato should come much closer together.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
I-Con's Science and Technology Guest of Honor in 2000 will be Geoffrey