Re: Gimp Stable

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 04:06:09PM +0200, Martin Fluch wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Ioa Petra wrote:
> >
> > > The reason I would ask for such an except is because 1.0.4, the current
> > > potato stable is so -drastically- out of date. Seeing as how Gimp is one
> > > of the major apps in the Linux community it seems it would be good to
> > > make an exception in its case.
>
> Debian is a friend you can count on, but forget about it being up to
> date! Actually I created a separated directory, called "new", where I
> install from source updated software and libraries ("./configure
> --prefix=/usr/new", "make", "make install"), namely lyx and gimp,
> becouse the versions provided by slink are really obsolete. That's why
> I won't update to Potato, as I risk a big mess: sooner or later I'll
> have everything made up from source.

As someone else said, that's what /usr/local is for.

> The problem with Debian is that you can't install Netscape except by
> means of running a package called "netscape4". It would be great to
> know how to get the rid of that limitation.

What do you mean by that?  There isn't anything that I can see preventing
a tarball from ftp.netscape.com (if you can actually get it downloaded!)
from being installed under Debian.  I've been using a glibc2.0 Netscape
under Debian since hamm was released (mid 1998).  Currently I'm using that
same Netscape (I think - It's either a glibc2 or glibc2.1 Netscape) with
Potato.

> Someday a kind programmer will write some code to manage a distro made
> entirely from source and help us to live without RPMs, LSMs or DEBs,
> i.e. flying out of the cage :)))

GNU stow.  I've never used it, but it sounds like that's what you're
looking for.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein