Re: UGH!! Some people use accelerated X!

aarons@andrew.cmu.edu (Aaron Solochek) wrote:
>Why is it that packages are made to be dependant on Xfree?  Whether or
>not they actually are, there ar some packages that seem to assume you
>need xfree installed to work right.    However, install xfree when you
>use accelerated x is not such a great idea.  How about anything X
>suggests  xfree, and doesn't automatically dselect it, and all of the
>things its dependant on for you?  This is really annoying.

For reference:

[cjw44@riva ~]$ grep-available -FDepends -nsPackage xfree86-common
wdm
task-x-window-system-core
cmucl-clx
xserver-common
xlib6g
xbase

It's arguable that this is a bug in at least wdm and cmucl-clx; I'm not
well-versed enough in how X is organized to know about the others. As a
stopgap, why not use equivs to create yourself a dummy package which is
called or Provides: xfree86-common, or whatever, and pretend you *have*
got XFree86 after all? This seems like a very good temporary solution.

Perhaps eventually there should be some other virtual package provided
by xfree86-common which other X systems could also provide, but you'd
need to talk to Branden Robinson about that.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]