Re: [*} X Concept

debian_hurd@21cn.com (maths) wrote:
>i know what X server is, and i am  using S3. but i feel confuse
>of the X window manager.someone told me the gonme is not a window
>manager.but in my opinion it do the same thing as the enlightment.

Not at all. I use fvwm2, for instance, and I use various GNOME
applications with it. GNOME is basically a set of libraries which
applications choose to link against to provide various features (like a
coherent widget set). A window manager is something which a user runs
partly to enforce a set of behaviours (like window decorations) upon all
applications, whether they know about it or not, and partly to give
themselves a basic environment in which to work (e.g. menus).

Admittedly the GNOME panel blurs the distinction a bit, as it performs
functions often associated with window managers (application launching
and so on), but it's really just another application linked against the
GNOME libraries.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]