Re: RedHat --> Debian tool?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 09:01:50PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I have a RedHat 6.0 box, my laptop actually.  I've converted all my other
> boxes to debian.  I'm almost ready to convert it, but I'd rather not nuke
> it out right.  Is there a way to "convert" it from RedHat to Debian in a
> clean manner?

I did this last fall by clearing out a suitably large ( ~1GB) partition,
creating a chroot jail, installing debian from this shell, and massaging
the installation for a week or so before letting it become my default.
After a bit of time spent dual booting, I nuked RH, preserving /home and
/usr/local, though truth to tell I didn't keep much of the latter,
preferring to make a clean start.

Creating a sane partition scheme after all of this was a bit of a chore,
but I managed without having to do any tape backup/restore with some
clever juggling.  Didn't lose any bits that I didn't plan on losing....

With very few exceptions, the chroot trick worked like a charm.  Giving
credit where it's due, I'd picked it up from Rob Walker at VA Linux.
Apparently the Debian team had used the same trick on a box there to get
a build environment under a RH install.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)