Re: PCI BIOS problems

Phil Brutsche wrote:

:

> If the ethernet card gets a 255 IRQ, then it's possible that you need to
> change the setting that looks something like "PnP OS" (that's how it
> appears on my computer) to "None" or "No".  Setting "PnP OS" to "On" or
> "Yes" only makes sense with Win95 and it's derivatives.  You can also try
> the card in another PCI slot.

This isn't the case Phil.  PnP OS setting only affects ISA PnP cards, so this problem
has nothing to do with that.

How it operates - if set to 'no', bios attempts to configure ISA PnP cards (because
it assumes your OS can't).  Bioses in general aren't very good at this, esp. with
something like an Awe32 / 64 - a fairly common piece of hardware.  If it's set to
'yes', bios thinks your OS is capable of handling ISA pnp cards, therefore it does
nothing.

As far as Linux goes, Debian like most dists uses isapnptools to configure
ISA PnP cards for you which e.g. has a well documented solution for Awe problem, it
is essentially a PnP OS as far as the "PnP OS Installed?" line in bioses goes.
I know it isn't strictly PnP (yet) but bios only cares about configuration of
ISA PnP cards.

So for Linux w/ isapnptools correctly set up, "PnP OS Installed" should most
definitely be "Yes".  When I set it to "No", my Awe64 stops being seen by Linux, the
bios can't configure it correctly and isapnptools won't work - so the card doesn't
either.

Jonathan