debconf: Dialog front end failed to initialise

Hi,

sorry if I missed this thread. All packages in potato that use debconf
now give me this message when I upgrade:

debconf: failed to initialize Dialog frontend
debconf: falling back to Text frontend

furthermore they don't seem to fall back to text, they just move
on. I've tried dpkg-reconfigure debconf, with the same results, and
also dpkg-reconfigure -fText debconf. The latter command just
completes, without errors, but without letting me reconfigure. Any
hints?

Thanks,
Brendan