Re: strange mke2fs problem

Oleg Krivosheev <kriol@waldo.fnal.gov> writes:

> Hi, All
>
> found strange problem with mke2fs on potato:
>
> 1. set new 20gig disk as /dev/hdb and created 2gig linux partition as
>    /dev/hdb1
>
> 2. running potato with kernel 2.2.14 on /dev/hda
>
> 3. run mke2fs on /dev/hdb1 "mke2fs -c -m 0 /dev/hdb1" and it finished ok
>
> 4. was able to mount /dev/hdb1 on /mnt and copy files to adn from it
>
> 5. rebooted with debian 2.1 (slink) rescue disk "rescue root=/dev/hda1"
>    AND WAS UNABLE TO MOUNT /dev/hdb1 ! mount printed something like
>
>    "Unable to mount:bad fs superblock, bad mount options or already
>     mounted"
>
> 6. ok, rebooted again with rescue floppy, go to "Execute shell" and
>    run mke2fs on /dev/hdb1 from floppy. All went ok and now i'm able to
>    mount /dev/hdb1 while booting from disk and from rescue.
>
> Looks like mke2fs/mount/ext2 incompatible changed while
> moving from slink to potato (or from kernel 2.0 to kernel 2.2).
>
> Is there known bug(s)? Should i report it to kernel folks?
>
> any ideas/help are greatly appreciated
>
> OK
>

> --

     The version of mke2fs in potato makes filesystems with the
`sparse superblock option' by default.  2.0 kernels can't read
filesystems made with this option.  According to the manpage, there are
options to not use the sparse superblock option.  I tried the -s
option unsuccessfully, but I didn't try the -O option.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>