Re: rebuild kernel and modules

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:42:33 -0800, brian moore <bem@cmc.net> was crying out from somewhere
  about: Re: rebuild kernel and modules

bem> Indeed, after avoiding it for months, I finally actually built a kernel
bem> 'the debian way' and found it a breeze.  No more 'make bzImage && make
bem> modules && make modules_install' and then digging the kernel out of
bem> arch/i386/boot, etc.  It just worked.
bem>
bem> I'll try to behave myself in the future and use make-kpkg on future
bem> kernel builds.

One more step towards a debian way would be doing :

$ make xconfig
$ fakeroot make-kpkg .....
$ sudo dpkg -i ../kernel.........

#by the way, you need to set up yourself as a sudoers, using visudo.
#and need the packages fakeroot and sudo.

and probably doing it in your $home directory.

Whats more ... if, for example you do...
(example session)

$ mkdir for486
$ cd for486
$ tar xvIz ../linux-2.2.13.tar.bz2
$ cd linux
$ make xconfig
$ fakeroot make-kpkg --revision for486.1.0 binary-arch
#note that you don't need to become root, or have any permission to become
#one here...

and copy the .deb file over to the machine, you can safely make
a kernel for your 486 machine, without changing your main Pentium machine
configuration. Finding this out after a long while of hacking around with the
"Debian way", I thought this must make it into the FAQ.

The FAQ doesn't say much about it (in slink). Kernel-package
docs say a bit more.

dancer, a.k.a. Junichi Uekawa
 a member of the Dept. of Knowledge Engineering and Computer Science,
   Doshisha University.
... I pronounce "Linux" as in [Day-bee-enne]