Re: Guru challenge: hosts/networking

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Howard Mann wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > With the file like this, bootup hangs for a _very_ long time at the
> >
> > Starting system log daemon :  syslogd        stage.
> > and also at the Starting print spooler : lpd       stage
> >
> > It then proceeds very slowly to the login prompt.
> >
> > If I use the line :     hosts :   files  dns      instead, this does
> > not happen, but I cannot then get to my ISP's nameservers or do a
> > nslookup.
> <snip>

> "Noah L. Meyerhans" wrote:

> What is in /etc/resolv.conf?  If you do an 'nslookup - <nameserver_IP>'
> using the values in resolv.conf, are you able to access each of the
> nameservers listed there?

Yes - no problem.

> Also, you you have a "search" line in resolv.conf?  If so, maybe you should >try removing it because it tells the
> resolver to check that particular domain first if you try an nslookup.

I have the standard format :

howardm:~$cat /etc/resolv.conf

search xmission.com
nameserver 198.60.22.2
nameserver 198.60.22.22

I do not have difficulty with the nameservers if the "hosts" line in
/etc/nsswitch.conf reads:

hosts:   dns   files

The problem occurs when that line reads :

hosts:   files   dns   ( with this line, the bootup does not hang at
"syslogd")

I trust I understand your question correctly.

Cheers,

Howard Mann.