A-x not defined in XEmacs

Hi!

I have a strange problem. I have an old keyboard with only Strg Alt
Space AltGr Strg beneath the other keys. I thought that I had
correctly set up X because everythin works correctly. Everything?
Sadly not everything. I emacs a cannot hit the alt-key (Alt_L) plus
f.eg. the x-key. When I do it, the program complains in german: A-x
not defined. Same with A-v etc.

In jed I can use the alt-key as meta-key.

I posted the problem to a gnu-newsgroup and fiddled a little bit with
xmodmap. But no results.

$ xmodmap
xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3        Mode_switch (0x71)
mod4        Meta_L (0x73)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

The keyboard section of XF86config is:

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 5
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbModel        "pc102"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbKeymap       "xfree86(de)"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbVariant	   "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Does anybody encountered the same problem or - much better - knows a
solution?

Ciao!
juh

--
juh's Sudelbuch --- Literatur und Satire per E-Mail
http://www.sudelbuch.de