Freeze due to video card?

Hello,

I'm experiencing a very nasty freezing of my computer, connected to video
modes:
I've got an S3 Virge/DX, chipset 86C375 with 4Mb memory.
I use the SVGA driver.
No problem at all as long as  I run @ 800X600 8bpp.

But if I use 16bpp or 24bpp that should be well supported by the 4 Mb
memory, my system will eventually freeze at some point, on opening some
menu or similar operations.

The freeze is complete. No action at all would be possible, but tu push
the RESET button on the cabinet.

NOTE that exactly the SAME thing happens using Win NT, also available on
my computer.

So, could it be a hardware failure?
Is there anything I can do to try and understand what's going on?

Thanks,

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
Alberto Bigazzi, PhD.
Research Associate,