Re: nsswitch solution:explanation required

Ben Collins wrote:

> > I did this by trial-and error, not with any insight. I believe the
> > change involving the "hosts" or "networks" lines finally did the
> > trick.
> >

> I would hazard a guess that it is because your cable provider is using a
> non-standard netmask/broadcast for whatever private network you are on.
> Either that or you aren't specifying it in your network config, so it is
> using the defaults.

Thanks for your reply. The router does perform NAT. My
/etc/init.d/network now reads :

#! /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=10.0.0.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
[ "${GATEWAY}" ] && route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

Is there anything unusual here ?

Cheers,

Howard Mann.