Re: 7200 RPM udma33 same speed as 5400 PIO mode 4

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Dan Melomedman wrote:

> Even if your drive can do UDMA33, it is only useful for transfers from
> the drive's cache, since only they can reach that high transfer speed,
> so that's where speed-ups come from, also this puts less strain on
> your CPU.

If I understand what you're here and previously, even though I get
9.5MB/sec no matter how I set all the hdparm switches, some of the
settings will deliver the same throughput at a lower CPU overhead?

That would be interesting to measure, but what sort of test would do the
job? Copying a huge huge file to /dev/null? I'd need to make a large file.
I have 256MB ram and 512MB swap (hey - what else to do with a 27GB drive?
;-).

...RickM...