Slink -> Frozen = No Internet

HELP,

  I finally took the plunge and upgraded my linux
server from slink to frozen last night.  After running
apt-get dist-upgrade and moving from 2.0.36 to 2.2.14,
I can no longer dial out to the internet.  When I try
to run pon, syslog reports that /dev/ttyS2 (my modem)
is locked.  I tried doing another reboot, but that did
not clear up the problem.

 Can someone help me fix this problem.

TIA,

Chris

P.S.

Please be sure to reply back to this e-mail account as
I'm not sure if the subscription to debian-user went through.