Re: ipfilter

Hi,

I put OpenBSD on my firewall box a few months ago specifically for
ipfilter. As Phil Brutsche said the latest ipfilter port for Linux is
for the 2.0.x kernels, which is too old.

Pointless rambling..
I haven't looked back since moving for ipchains to ipfilter. My rules
for ipchains were like 30 lines or more and the ipfilter rules are less
than 10, mainly due to the fact that ipfilter is stateful (keeps track
of how/when connections we're initiated) while ipchains is not.

The nicest thing (among many) about ipfilter is I didn't have to open
any ports at all to the network except what I wanted (because it is
stateful). With ipchains I had to open 1024-65536 for general surfing.
Within an hour or so of switching to ipfilter I started seeing attempts
at certain high ports I had never seen blocked before.

Unfortunately as far as I can tell netfilter won't be any different than
ipchains, they just rewrote the code and changed the syntax.
...End pointless rambling

Chris Schleifer

P.S. I am by no means an expert on tcp or firewalls, so if I'm wrong
someone correct me please.