Re: package management?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, ethan mindlace fremen wrote:

> debians,
> I have slink running on a production server.  Some of the packages are
> inferior to those I need, but the packages in potato are ok.  Can I
> download those debs and install them without a problem?

Generally It's not OK to install potato packages on slink.  The majority
of them will need glibc2.1, which is not fully compatible with 2.0.  One
thing you'll want to do is add the following line to your
/etc/apt/sources.list if it's not already there:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/

If that doesn't get you the software you need, you can still use apt to
automatically get you the source to the potato package and build it
locally on your system...

I believe you'll need version 0.3.11 of apt-get, which is not included
with slink.  I believe it will be installed from the above apt source
line, though.  Once you've got the right version of apt-get, add the
following line to sources.list:
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free

Then you can do something like:
apt-get source --compile <pkgname>
or
apt-get source <pkgname>
if you just want to download and unpack the source without automatically
compiling it.

Note that this does not do any dependency checking.  If you don't have the
necessary packages to build the software, you'll need to install them
before trying to build it.

Also, if you're looking for things like the gnome or KDE packages (things
that are in high demand), then you're likely to be able to get them from
some other source.  For example, the following source line will make the
KDE packages available to you:
deb http://kde.tdyc.com slink kde contrib rkrusty

I know there's a source line for Gnome, too, but I don't run Gnome on my
slink box anymore (and it's part of potato) so I can't really help.  Check
www.gnome.org

> Also, how do I tell the package management system that I am providing a
> service by non-debian means?

The equivs packages does just this.  Install it and read the docs.  Post
if you've still got questions.

noah

  PGP Public Key available at http://www.morgul.net/~frodo/mail.html
  or by `finger -l frodo@morgul.net`