Re: [OFF-TOPIC] shell scripting

>Could someone point me in a good direction to start learning some shell
>scripting? I can do the extreme basic stuff, but I'd like to learn a lot
>more than I already know. Any references for learning perl? shell scripting
>in general?

Shell Scripting - for starters look at /etc/init.d and figure out how those scripts work-  these are good b/c it is easy to figure out what they are doing.  Its the syntax you've gotta pick up.  Then do a locate on *.sh, pick a script and figure out how it works.  Next come up with some task that you want to accomplish with a shell script and write the code for it.

Perl - Programming Perl  pub by O'Reilly.  Arguabley the only Perl reference (outside of code) that you will ever need.

And finally, perhaps the best way to learn anything about coding is to take something that works just fine on your system, break it, and then fix it.  Break and fix enough stuff and you'll be a master.

//shawn