X startup failure

Speaking of X-troubles...

I've installed the latest XFree86 (3.3.6) and had my console hang near
the end of XF86Setup, leaving a HUGE black&white "X" on my screen, just
as someone else mentioned recently.  After some snooping around, it looks
like the problem is in the X server startup itself, which dies with the
error message:

   _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2

and everything else just cascades from this.  I see nothing useful in
syslog or messages.  Can anyone give me a clue what this is, or least
suggest where I should look to find the trouble?

btw, this is a fresh installation of slink on a Compaq Deskpro 5133,
XF86Setup looks ok, mouse works, etc... starting as root, XVG16 and
XSVGA servers.

thanks in advance,

-Rich
ZeePrime Technical Services