Re: PCI modems with Linux?

> Hi,
>
> I and my friend have a problem with Linux. In some documents we
> read that PCI modems can not be used, because of the structure
> of Linux. Searched some sources, we couldn't find any usable info
> about this, so please help! Both my friend and I have 56k PCI
> Rockewell compatible modems (no winmodems) without any Linux-
> relate thing. I'd like to ask some kind of short tutorial about how to
> install the needed software-pieces and what steps to follow for a
> functional internet-connection.
>
> Sorry, if this is a boring question. In this case, please anyone who
> answer, do it to my own addres.
>
> Thank you.

AFAIK, there are PCI modems that work under Linux with no special configuration. See http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/PCImodems.html for more information. According to the documentation there, it is possible that your modem is Linux compatable (a real modem as oposed to a software modem).

Best of luck!

WinModems > /dev/null!

-ptw