Re: package compilation madness

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 11:04:27AM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:

> Actually, it's not really about "newer", it's about having a
> version number that sorts later, so, one possibility is to use a
> special version number that will always sort later.  This is the trick
> suggested for custom kernels.  Thus, you could make bzip 0.9.5d-my2 or
> even my-0.9.5d-2.  The former would stick until a new upstream
> release, the former would stick basically forever (unless the debian
> maintainer increases the "epoch", which we won't get into now).

i tend to use version numbers like "1.2.2-1.0001". And i watch for when
dselect tells me it wants to upgrade the package.

All that's needed to change the version number is to add a properly
formatted entry to the debian/changelog file. ("properly formatted"
means formatted like all the rest ;)

> This doesn't just happen with pentium-optimized packages.  It happens
> any time you make a local custom version of a package.

If you'd create a local mirror of just your packages, and put that first
in your apt sources.list, i believe that should prefer your version over
Debian's when they have the same version number.

--
  finger for GPG public key.
  8 Jan 2000 - Old email addresses removed from key, new added