SOLVED: Re: Unstable kernel question

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> > > However, I just recompiled the 2.2.14 kernel (had to change gcc to gcc272
> > > in 3 places in the Makefile), but it still hangs when I boot it.
> > >
> > > It hangs after:
> > > "Decompressing Linux. OK, now boot the kernel".
>
> > Your compiler has nothing to do with it. I don't think downgrading to
> > 2.7.2 is a good move, since 2.95.2 is _MUCH_ better in many areas,
> > including optimization. 2.95.2 is not compatible with 2.0.x kernels.
> > 2.2.x are just fine.

In my old kernel boot messages I noticed that the next thing to print
should be the "Console" messages.

So I went back into the xconfig and found that I had somehow turned off
the virtual and vga consoles. It wasn't hanging at all, the messages just
had nowhere to go.

I've built and installed 2.2.14 with gcc 2.95 and all is well so far.

...RickM...