Re: Unstable kernel question

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 04:52:24PM -0700, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> Yes, that's pretty well my next step.
>
> Only one other thought that I have first.
>
> My root partition is 1023 cylinders for the well-known lilo/int13 issue.
> However, this cylinder numbering is the translated LBA stuff. Those 1023
> cyls are actually more like 16,000 physical cylinders.
>
> I _assumed_ that the lilo/int13 issue would be OK with the BIOS/LBA view
> of the disk. Does anybody know for sure? It's possible that when I copied
> my old system to this new 27GB disk that the old kernel is under the
> physical 1024 cyls, but the newly compiled attempts would be beyond that.
>
> ...RickM...

END OF QUOTE

No, LBA is fine, Leave that option on. As long as the kernel is under that limit, your machine should boot just fine.
cfdisk is nice for a general view of your partitions. I personally have not used disks larger that 10 Gig, so don't know of other IDE limitations. I have had setups where my root partition was beyond 1024 cyl limit, (was also my last partitions for performance reasons) and I had /boot partition/fs with the kernel within 1024 cyl limit with everything working/booting fine. But if in case your machine came with EZ-Drive or other BIOS emulation (windows only) installed, you'll have to remove it.