Re: LateX/TeX problems on slink. tex.fmt missing???

Marko Cehaja <marko@magikomik.de> writes:
> Does somebody know how to set up tex/latex system on slink?
>
> While doing simple configurations I always get errors like
> tex.fmt not found or latex.fmt not found.
>
> So I can't convert *.tex files via latex nor use LyX.
>
> I tried with FAQ suggestions to create tex.fmt and it didn't
> work. Who has experienced similar problem regarding the
> configuration of tex/latex on slink?
>
> Please help it is very important for me to have running latex on my
> system.

Believe it or not, this is a Y2K bug in TeX/LaTeX. You need to upgrade
to a newer version. Last I heard you could pick up a fixed version for
slink in the proposed updates. Download the tetex*.deb files from

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink-proposed-updates/

or use your favorite mirror, and install them via dpkg -i tetex*.deb.

Gary