Re: can't ftp into box

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 10:58:00PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> Todd Suess <tsuess@blackhole.fuhq.net> writes:
>
> > Once you are connected, try issuing the following commands:
> > ftp> user <username><enter>
> > ftp> pass <password><enter>
>
> Tried that. Doesn't work. ;^( I get the same stuff: "Not connected".
>
> Now, I installed linux onto the laptop. Still can't ftp into the
> debian box. Furthermore, I cannot ftp into the laptop either!

Well, does your ftp server run from inetd? and is it possibly commented
out? Are there rules in /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny that might
cause this? Can you 'telnet <the host> 21' ? Perhaps tcpwrappers is
taking issue with the connection? Did you try another ftp client (like
WS_FTP) ?  Just some thoughts...

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |