can't ftp into box

Hi. I'm trying to install linux onto my notebook. It has no cdrom, so
I'm trying to transfer some files via ftp from my debian box into the
laptop (which runs win98 of course ;^( ). I've set up an ethernet link
between the boxen, and have the laptop on 192.168.2.2, and the Debian
box has 192.168.2.1 on the interface that talks to the notebook.

I can ping either computer from either one. Moreover, I can telnet
from the notebook into the Debian box w/o any problem. It's just to
ftp into the debian box that I can't.

I can ftp into the same computer from another box on my network
(different subnet, though -- 192.168.1.*) with no problem. And no, I
am not trying anonymous connection.

An ftp session from ms-dos window looks like this:
c:\>ftp 192.168.2.1
> ftp: connect :10061
ftp>

After which I can't execute any ftp command, getting "Not connected"
message.

I don't get any prompts to enter my user name or password.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com