Re: Unstable kernel question

Hi,

1. The processor type option is to allow for a) some optimizations and
b) using extensions to the cpu's instruction set that comes with the
processor eg. amd k6 stuff or pentium stuff.

The practical upshot of all this is that you can compile for a 486 and
it should work on an amd k6 or an athlon.

2. If you are using potato, the default compiler should be fine.

If you are using slink, then there should be packages for gcc272
(from memory anyway).

There is the /etc/alternatives for specifying alternatives such as
which compiler or editor or ... to use. If you don't want to muck
around with this, you could just edit the kernel's Makefile thusly:
HOSTCC	=gcc272
CC	=$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc272 -D__KERNEL__ -I$(HPATH)

3. I think you should still be able to get the stable 2.2.14 to work
despite it not directly recognizing your particular ide controller.
This is shown by the fact that the kernels gave the same info about the
ide drives. The kernel will just treat yours as any other ide controller.
I wouldn't use a developmental kernel (ie 2.3.x) unless you know what
you are doing.

Unfortunately, I don't have your original posts but if you still having
trouble you could try posting the info again.

Regards,
Mark.