Re: Unstable kernel question

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 07:20:44AM -0800, aphro wrote:
> 2.2.14 should work with the athlon, what cpu arch are you telling the
> config program you have? you probably need to tell it Pentium (unless
> there is an athlon option).  from what i saw 2.3.x didn't have all the
> athlon patches from 2.2 yet but it was on alan cox's to-do list. if the
> kernel doesn't detect the chipset that is not unusual it just can't
> optimize for the chipset, standard drivers would work.

	I have tried all of them :-/// unsuccesfully that is :) Pentium,
586, 686... I'm not sure which one you have to use though...

> also check the compiler you are using (gcc -v) it is reccomended to use
> 2.7.2.3 when compiling a kernel, although there is some reports of success
> with egcs 1.1 and very few success reports using egcs 2.95.

	None of them seem too happy. Actually, booting breaks at the
same point, irrespective of
(i) architecture
(ii) compiler version

	So the problem lies somewhere else, I guess...
	Regards,
	José
--
José L Gómez Dans			PhD student