Re: Unstable kernel question

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, aphro wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Rick Macdonald wrote:
>
> rickma >I wonder if this is my problem? I just built 2.2.14 on potato, but it
> rickma >fails to boot. It just hangs after saying "OK, boot kernel now". I built
> rickma >it with 2.95. Maybe I'll see if the gcc272 package can co-exist with the
> rickma >gcc (2.95) package. Then, one would need to tell the kernel make which
> rickma >compiler to use.
>
> yeah thats probably the problem..  if u figure out how to get them to co
> exist lemme know compiling kernels is about the only thing keeping me from
> upgrading my compiler.. i tried manual co existance with self installed
> compilers and used links for cc, gcc g++ c++ to point to the real binaries
> but it was a pain to do and i never remembered which one i had it set to.

I just installed the gcc272 package, and they seem to co-exist just fine:

timshel:~$ gcc272 -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.3
timshel:~$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 20000116 (Debian GNU/Linux)

However, I just recompiled the 2.2.14 kernel (had to change gcc to gcc272
in 3 places in the Makefile), but it still hangs when I boot it.

It hangs after:
"Decompressing Linux. OK, now boot the kernel".

There seems to be a lot of disk rattling after that, but no more messages.

Anybody have any idea about this?

...RickM...