Newbie Lookin' for Libraries

Before I do much of anything with my new Debian Linux, I need to get
my favorite editor, nedit, going. I installed it, but when I tried to
execute it, I was told that libXpm.so.4 was missing. Apt-get said
there was no libXpm, and I didn't see anything like that on the Debian
CD.

When I tried to start Northern Captain, a file manager I enjoy using,
it seemed to miss libc6.1-1.so.2. Apt-get said that my libc6 was the
newest.

I enjoyed xscreensaver in Corel Linux, but when I execute it in Debian
Linux, it says:
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: 0.0

The above was while I was logged on as root.

Not a library question, but a couple of times, alien has reported,
"822-date did not return a valid result." However, the process seemed
to be successful. Is there a problem?

Lane

----
Lane Lester / Madison County, Georgia USA
----