help on installation - partition disk

Dear Experts,

I tried to install Debian Linux disk on my home computer starting with Rescue floppy.
The machine model is emachine monster 500 with 13GB hard drive and Windows 98 on it.
I partitioned the (only) hard drive using flip.exe like this
    800 MB    for Windows 98 (650 MB system stuff), FAT 32
    3.2 GB     for Debian Linux, Formatted to FAT 32
    9 GB        for Windows 98 applications etc, Formatted to FAT 32
When I booted the machine with Debian rescue floppy and tried to partition the disk (hoping it can recognize the 3.2GB partition as /dev/hda2 or /dev/hda3 and re-partition/initialize that 3.2 GB area only), it tried to partition /dev/hda (that is whole disk) and came back with message like this
    fdisk cannot partition the disk because your disk partition table is corrupted or it is "factory clean", do you want to run cfdisk to partition the disk? <Yes> <No>
I hit yes and it showes a table with one record: bootable flag is empty, start sector is 0, size is 8000 MB, type is primary. I let it go again. It erased the whole disk include the 800 MB Windows 98 area, which I wish to be preserved.

What I want to do is to build a dual boot machine (I still need Windows 98 because of DVD software). Can you see what I did wrong and how should I do it?
Thank you very much in advance.

Jincai Jiang