Re: ssl'ed / ssh'ed ftp ?

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 06:57:13AM -0600, Joe Chung wrote:

> With the port-forwarding feature, I was able to use good old ws_ftp from the
> Windows machine to connect securely to our Solaris server running openssh's
> sshd. That should work for you.
>
> Unfortunately for me, the federal agency I work for has declared its intention
> to block all port 21 connections from outside starting next week. I don't know
> if ssh's port forwarding will work anymore after that agency-wide block. Any
> ideas?

I might be wrong but that shouldn't affect ssh at all, you should be
logging into ssh (port 22) and setting up a encrypted tunnel, ssh
needs to open a port and since your not root its unprivileged, you
local ssh opens a port on your localhost (also probably unprivileged)
which you tell your ftp client to connect to, it get connected to the
local ssh which encrypts and tunnels the connection to your remote
ssh's opened port which decrypts the connection and forwards it to
localhost:21 that should not be blocked... unless you meant port 22 is
blocked.

it would still be nice if there was a Free encrypted ftpd with good
clients for win*, un*x and macos.  the problem with this tunneling
thing is a) its rather a pain, and related to that its hard to get
users to actually go to the trouble (meaning they send passwds flying
accros the net) and b) you pretty much have to give them a shell
account on the server, ie no ftp only chrooted accounts... (yes i know
about ssh2's sftp, its reportedly very buggy, its very non-free, and
there are still no clients for lesser OSes)

also if your clients are using macos this is not an option at all as
there are only 2 clients i am aware of: one is illegal in N.America,
the other expires after a month if you don't pay a large sum of cash,
and the latter does port forwarding very poorly (its unusably slow)

--
Ethan Benson